Next Sunday, June 13th, we will begin our study of Second Thessalonians. This week, to get us started I will be providing an overview of the book. As I've done in the past, I will accomplish this by answering the 5 'W' questions: Who, What, When, Where, and Why.
A. Who Wrote It?
1. As always there is a difference of opinion as to whether the letter was actually written by Paul.
2. However, most experts do believe it was written by Paul
B. To Whom was it Written?
1. No doubt here, it was written to the early Christians at Thessalonica
2. Primarily Gentiles, but some Jews
II. What - Three Key Topics Contained in the Letter
A. Encouragement in the face of continuing persecution
B. Clarify events concerning the day of the Lord
C. Instructed church on how to deal with lazy Christians
A. People who believe it wasn't written by Paul - suggest it was written late in the first century about the same time as Revelations.
B. People who believe it was written by Paul - suggest it was written within a year of when Paul wrote First Thessalonians.
A. Recall from our study of First Thessalonians that Thessalonica is located in present day Greece
1. Located at intersection of two major Roman roads
a. one leading from Italy eastward (Ignatia Way)
b. other from the Danube to the Aegean
2. Port city
3. Roman provincial capital of Macedonia
B. Like First Thessalonians - it is believed Paul wrote Second Thessalonians from Corinth
A. To offer additional encouragement to the church who faced continued persecution
B. To dispel false teaching about the second coming of the Lord
C. To correct behavior resulting from this false teach - specifically people not working because they were sure Jesus was coming soon.