First, I want to point out 2 passages to start the lesson;
1. Jer 25:11-14 (the 70 years 605-539?)
2. 2 Thess 2:2-12 Paul speaking about the "return of Christ"
A. Daniels Prayer: First note the process. This is not a short prayer it is pure supplication, and worship.
This is a process of fasting, reflection and prayer over several days. What would happen now if we practiced this. What would this look like today?
B. Daniel's 70 weeks Dan 9:20-
Again, I believe that there can be no other way to see this than through a pre-millenial view. I would suggest strongly that it doesn't make sense from any other perspective.
1. Daniel's prayers are answered 20-21, note the entrance of Gabriel. Also the weariness at the end of verse 21.
2. "understanding and a vision" for God's People (Jews) and the "holy mountain" Jerusalem.
3. It is important to not why the "7s" are used. It is called a heptads. Old Law demanded every seven years was a Sabbath rest year. Seven "sevens" was a Jubilee. Seventy "sevens" is a span of 490 years.
4. It must be noted that this "vision" or prophecy is for the city of Jerusalem and the Jews. It can be interpreted no other way.
5 Jer. 25:11 noted seventy years for Judah's captivity. See also 2 Chron 36:21 and of course Ezra 1.
6. Verse 24 Consider that this is a summary of God's plan. If you will note each passage, it reaches back to the beginning, it puts an end to sin through atonement, bring about his kingdom as revealed through the prophecy given to the prophets ending with his son the messiah.
7. The seven weeks-49 years..it only depends on when you start it. I add the following notes to better explain why it begins on March 5, 444BC.
The 70 "sevens" would begin, Gabriel said, with the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem. This decree was the fourth of four decrees made by Persian rulers in reference to the Jews. The first was Cyrus’ decree in 538 b.c. (2 Chron. 36:22-23; Ezra 1:1-4; 5:13). The second was the decree of Darius I (522-486) in 520 b.c. (Ezra 6:1, 6-12). This decree actually was a confirmation of the first decree. The third was the decree of Artaxerxes Longimanus (464-424) in 457 b.c. (Ezra 7:11-26). The first two decrees pertain to the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem and the third relates to finances for animal sacrifices at the temple. These three say nothing about the rebuilding of the city itself. Since an unwalled city was no threat to a military power, a religious temple could be rebuilt without jeopardizing the military authority of those granting permission to rebuild it. No one of these three decrees, then, was the decree that formed the beginning of the 70 sevens.
The final decree:
The fourth decree was also by Artaxerxes Longimanus, issued on March 5, 444 b.c. (Neh. 2:1-8). On that occasion Artaxerxes granted the Jews permission to rebuild Jerusalem’s city walls. This decree is the one referred to in Daniel 9:25.
Now I know the question your asking and here ya go:
The 483 Years in the Jewish and Gregorian Calendars :
Jewish Calendar (360 days per year *) Gregorian Calendar (365 days a year)
(7×7) + (62×7) years = 483 years
444 B.C. to A.D. 33 = 476 years †
476 years× 365 =173,740
173,740 days+ 116 days in leap years ‡
24 days (March 5–March 30)
B. The 490 years divided
1. 49 years for rebuilding of temple. give or take Ezra explains the details.
2. 62 "sevens" 434 years. We can argue the day of Christ's triumphal entry or his crucifiction based on census data from Roman manuscripts, but nevertheless its AD 33.
Now the important issue arises in how we view this passage.
C. Verse 26 says
Now after the sixty-two weeks,
an anointed one will be cut off and have nothing.
As for the city and the sanctuary,
the people of the coming prince will destroy them.
But his end will come speedily like a flood.
Until the end of the war that has been decreed
there will be destruction.
Note Matt 16:18
and Matt 21:42-43
The annointed one was cut off after the "62 "sevens"
This is the death of the messiah.
The city and the Sanctuary was destroyed by the coming prince (Romans/ Titus Note Dan 7:8 the little horn) AD70....Note the people of the coming prince.
I strongly believe that the break or gap between verse 26-27 is where we are now, it is the "church age" as so many like to call it, the time of the gospel to spread among all nations and peoples. Just read the new testament.
D. Verse 27 The last 7 weeks or the 70th "seven"
2 Thess 2:2 Paul writes:
2 Now regarding the arrival of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to be with him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to be easily shaken from your composure or disturbed by any kind of spirit or message or letter allegedly from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord is already here. 3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not arrive until the rebellion comes and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction. 4 He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, and as a result he takes his seat in God’s temple, displaying himself as God. 5 Surely you recall that I used to tell you these things while I was still with you. 6 And so you know what holds him back, so that he will be revealed in his own time. 7 For the hidden power of lawlessness is already at work. However, the one who holds him back will do so until he is taken out of the way, 8 and then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will destroy by the breath of his mouth and wipe out by the manifestation of his arrival. 9 The arrival of the lawless one will be by Satan’s working with all kinds of miracles and signs and false wonders, 10 and with every kind of evil deception directed against those who are perishing, because they found no place in their hearts for the truth so as to be saved. 11 Consequently God sends on them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false. 12 And so all of them who have not believed the truth but have delighted in evil will be condemned.
a. Who is the "he"? one week literally is "one seven"
b. Middle of that week (3 and 1 half years).
c. He will stop the sacrifices (how can this be Ephinanes IV)
d. Unfortunately you have to go to Revelation to get the rest of the story.